160 M DX window

David Robbins k1ttt at berkshire.net
Thu Nov 28 12:21:40 EST 1996

AA8U wrote:

> Dear ARRL and Fellow Contesters,
>
> I would like to see the definition of the "DX window" as published by
> the ARRL, modified in such a way as to FIRMLY DISCOURAGE US/VE stations
> from using it to call "CQ" or "CQ DX" during any ARRL sponsored Contest.

I would like the 'DX Window' idea dropped.  I think it has outlived its
usefulness.  about 10 years ago it probably made sense, when many
european countries we still restricted to low power and a very narrow
portion of the band it helped, but now it is just in the way.  in most
contests we work much more dx outside that window than we work in it.
i do keep a card right above the 160m radio showing the window and do
try to avoid cqing in there.  for a while i even refused to work
stateside stations who were cqing in there.  but recently the only
reason i have seen to avoid that segment is to avoid the frequency
cops qrm.

>If I don't see a response to this email one way or the other before the
>ARRL 160 contest, I think you can count on me using the "DX window" to
>call "CQ DX", at least long enough to make my point.

the rest of your message was ok, this line is downright stupid!
if nothing else, and i worked at the arrl, i would ignore you as a
hothead for making threats to join the abusers of the very rule you
are trying to improve.

--
David Robbins K1TTT (ex KY1H)
k1ttt at berkshire.net   or   robbins at berkshire.net