HF Log Periodic Problem

k4sb at avana.net k4sb at avana.net
Tue Oct 15 15:21:33 EDT 1996

Let's proceed on one assumption, that the impedence is indeed 105 ohms.
Put an electrical quarter wave of 72 ohm coax from the feed of the antenna
to your 52 ohm line. The quarter wave will act as an impedence transformer
and will step up the 52 to about 115 ohms. If your bridge then measures
about 1.1:1, then you've got it. However, if you get a reading of about
4.4:1, that should give you a good indication that the impedence is around
26 ohms.  You can solve that with a pair of 52 ohm lines using T
connectors.

One precaution thought, DON'T start worshiping the SWR god. A good antenna
will still be a good antenna even if it has a 5:1 ( or greater ) SWR. The
problem then is to MATCH the impedence, not the coax.

Best

Ed
Name: ed sleight
E-mail: k4sb at avana.net