9A1A CQWWSSB

WA4IMC1 at aol.com WA4IMC1 at aol.com
Wed Oct 16 09:29:44 EDT 1996

I will be an operator at multi-multi 9A1A during the CQWWSSB. You will be
able to tell when I am operating (probably 160 and 20) because I will be the
only one with a southern accent.

73
Charlie Wooten
WA4IMC
wa4imc1 at aol.com

From: IADIAHFD at NETINS.NET (Larry Lindblom) (Larry Lindblom)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 08:53:26 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: EU Layers

At 12:44 PM 10/15/96 PST WM2C/6 Wrote:

>     K1KP writes:
>

>>Those appearing in 75-100 percent of US logs would be first layer; those
>>in 50-74% would
>>be second layer, and so on. Maybe the percentages would need to be adjusted.
>
>     I don't think this gets us where we want to go.  This kind of
>     percentage tells you the relative activity level of the station, but
>     doesn't allow you to classify the "level".
>
>     What may be a better approach is to only look at ARRL DX logs (or
>     other logs where you send power levels) and determine the % of total
>     stations that fall into a predefined category.  For example:  By
>     looking at the % of 100w stations worked as compared to the total EU
>     stations worked, you now begin to get a better look at whether you
>     have hit that next "layer" of stations.  You would need to do this
>     over a few contests to get a better perspective.
>
>     Sure people can lie about their power levels, but you have assume the
>     report sent is still indicative of their "level"
>
>     After all this, I don't quite know what we would get at...  working a
>     new "level" of stations likely says more about propagation on that day
>     than anything else.
>

>     Kenny WM2C/6

To those of us in the "true midwest" there are two layers of europeans.
Those we can hear and those we can't.  Seriously, power is only one part of
the equation.  A second variable is what kind of antenna system is the power
feeding?  For example, 500 watts into a dipole at 25 feet will probably be
far weaker than 80 watts into a pair of stacked monobanders on a 120 ft
tower.  I'm sure there are other variables that will enter into the equation.

Larry Lindblom
WA0ETC
IADIAHFD at NETINS.NET

P.S. To live in the "true midwest" there must be a least 100 hogs per
citizen of the state.  Iowa-that's where the fat hogs grow!

From: 0006743923 at mcimail.com (W6PH) (W6PH)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 96 09:39 EST
Subject: SS Rover Correction

KN5H contacted ARRL HQ and was told he could operate from as many
sections as he wanted, but start new numbering at each section.  Tha#
would indicate that it is possible to work the same station in ea#h
new section.  My comments were based on my own interpretation of the
rules and past practices.  I apologize for this mistake.

                            Kurt, W6PH/1

From: thompson at mindspring.com (David L. Thompson) (David L. Thompson)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:17:07 -0400
Subject: CT CTY files

I asked the question about where recently and nearly a dozen asked me to
relay the answer. I hope that has been answered directly by Jim AD1C.

Dave K4JRB

From: rlboyd at CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd) (Rich L. Boyd)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 11:21:16 -0400 (EDT)

One of the lower layers of contest stations (right there with a 10' piece
of wire hanging out an apartment window and 100W -- or 5W --) are the
mobile stations.  I always feel my signal must be pretty good when mobile
stations are calling me and I can easily copy them too.  I feel I'm
working all the layers, including the lowest ones, at that point.

73 - Rich Boyd, KE3Q

From: whhendrick at dmacc.cc.ia.us (WILLIAM H HENDRICK) (WILLIAM H HENDRICK)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:33:06 CST6CDT
Subject: NNY for NA

Now that we know about CT files for the new SS section, how about new
files for NA. Our 10.06 doesn't include NNY.

73, Bill WD0GVY @ NC0P
*****************************
William Hendrick
whhendrick at dmacc.cc.ia.us
Amateur radio: WD0GVY
dabs at worldnet.att.net
*****************************

From: edwoods at pbsac01.isp.PacBell.COM (edwoods) (edwoods)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 07:54:00 -0700
Subject: K6GV in Santa Clara 10/16-17

Hi guys:

Will be in San Jose tonight and probably tomorrow night on business.  I hear
there is some beer left over
from WRTC.  Anyone interested in finding it, page me on (916) 523-2078 or
call the Santa Clara Best Western front desk (tel#  ?).

Just one of those emergency -"go tomorrow" - field visits.

Eric, K6GV (still not used to that)
edwoods at pacbell.com

From: hwardsil at wolfenet.com (Ward Silver) (Ward Silver)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 08:59:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Jamboree on the Air

There hasn't been much discussion of this in the past month...the annual
Scout Jamboree on the Air is this weekend, Oct. 19 and 20.  Those of you
that had kids in the shack last year might call your local Scoutmaster and
see if you couldn't repeat the event.  If you have some free time on
Saturday or Sunday, why not get in touch with a Scout leader and invite a
few boys (a couple of dens or patrols is quite manageable) to the shack.
The main calling frequency will be around 14.280MHz.

See you from Camp Sealth on Vashon Island!  I'm taking the mobile setup
out on a troop outing.  We'll see how it goes.

73, Ward N0AX
Asst. Scoutmaster, Troop 294

From: garydein at kuentos.guam.net (Gary Glen Dein) (Gary Glen Dein)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 06:45:28 +1000 (GST)
Subject: NH2G CQWW SSB

NH2G (Guam/Zone 27) will participate as Single Operator, All Band
entry in the '96 CQWW SSB contest. QSL Via WF5T.
Just a reminder for those 40 Mtr SSB operators, U.S. terrorities in
ITU region 3 (KH0/KH9/KH2) can only operate SSB 7075-7100 kHZ!
73 de Gary G. Dein/NH2G

From: mraz at rockdal.aud.alcatel.com (Kris Mraz, N5KM) (Kris Mraz, N5KM)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:51:40 -0500
Subject: Tucker's = HRO?

Word on the street here in North TX is that Tucker Electronics was
purchased
by HRO this morning. Doors closed. Employees let go. Better look for
your
contest related equipment elsewhere. Hopefully a formal press release
will
clarify the situation.

Kris N5KM
mraz at aud.alcatel.com

From: kf3p at cais.cais.com (Tyler Stewart) (Tyler Stewart)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:51:37 -0400
Subject: CT9 and FT1000 Help Request

>Hi All!
>
>At 10:15 PM 10/15/96 -0500, Jay Terleski wrote:
>>I am trying to get a new FT1000D SN 41400131 (dont know rev of ROM) But
>>this is supposed to be new about a year ago to interface to CT9.27.
>
>>I keep getting a radio not responding lock up message from CT.
>
>>The thing does talk to TR I might add.  So I think its my own error in
>>setting it up.
>
>Until Ken got busy I was a loyal CT user for years.  It is still
unsurpassed for Multi Single and Multi-Multi operations.

>Unfortunately, all releases higher than version 9.23 have not succeeded in
talking to my FT-990.  I know the problem is not unique because Steve,
W6EMS, (ex N4TQO) and several other Multi-Multi associates of mine with
FT-990, FT-1000s and ICOM radios have had similar problems.

>Ken has tried, with what little time to spare, to fix it again, but
>since he has no FT-990 to test with he has not succeeded.
>
>CT does not support the Sprint type contests, so I had to buy a copy of
TRLog or use paper.  (Yuck)

>Tree, N6TR, has had similar problems with his TRLog program with both Yaesu
and ICOM radios.  Tree had no Yaesu either but recently succeeded in solving
most of these problems.  He added a user parameter to control the time delay
between computer commands, and increased the delay from his old default of
about 50 ms to 100 ms.

>Since TRLog release 5.80 I have seen no further reports of this kind of
trouble on the TRLog reflector, so this seems to be a general cure.

>Can we get such a command added to the next CT release?  We want to use our
Yaesus and ICOMs at the upcoming multi.-multi. and CT is the prefered choice.

>Can someone with a logic analyzer and a Radio Timeout problem check out the
TX and RX lines and see if the serial data is getting truncated with CT
versions  9.24 - 9.27 ?

>BTW, I have found that TRLog is a worthy competitor of CT in all other
regards, and Tree's support is unbelievably good.  Once Tree gets the
planned SSB upgrades in place it will be better.

>(Sorry Trey, but the CT-user reflector is down and those contests are
coming closer and closer).
>AE0M, Tony Becker - becker at sprintmail.com - Silicon Valley, U.S.A.

I'm pretty sure that the interface works with 9.27 on the 1000D...I sold my
D's but I'm sure I've used 9.27 with them.  I would make sure you arent using
some old COMTSR's.  The latest set comes with COM 1 thru 8 dated sometime
in 95. I know it works with the FT1000MP, although if you use the RIT, the
frequency gets skewed by about a factor of 10 or so!

I'd be surprised if we see much product support for CT in the future...those
guys are tied up trying to make real money with Packetcluster.

73, Tyler KF3P
|         Stewart Communications - 301-253-5256 - kf3p at cais.com           |
|                          "Get the Best for Less!"                       |
| Authorized Dealer: Standard Communications Land Mobile and Marine Radio |
|      Industrial Communications Engineers (ICE) and PAR Electronics      |

From: WX0B-JTERLESKI at postoffice.worldnet.att.net (Jay Terleski) (Jay Terleski)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:33:22 -0500
Subject: FT1000 and CT9.2X Solution and Summary

I asked the following question,

> >> Jay, you didn't mention the type of interface you are using. I cured the
> >> timout/lockup problem at my station by doing some work on my DB-25F
> >> connector. I added jumpers between pins   1 - 7;  4 - 5;  6 - 20. These pins
> >> allow the port to do it's thing with proper timming. Look at your connector.
> >>
> >> Just some thoughts,  Bill   WD8RIN/4
> >
> >Bill thanks,  I use the Yeasu supplied interface the rs232 cord is a
> >premade unit.  I dont have a way to take the connector apart.  Guess I
> >could build my own.  Can you tell me more about why you jumpered these
> >pins together and why it worked?  Also when you say 1 - 7, you mean
> >jumpered from pin1 to pin7?  not pin 1 thru pin7.
> >
> >Thanks again, Ill try this tonight.  Another guy sent me a message to
> >reset the main cpu.
> >
> >later.
> >Jay
> >

> Jay, I have been using this interface since '87. It works on all radios I've
> tried it on, so far... Pin 4 is PC RTS and pin 5 is PC CTS. Pin 6 is PC DSR,
> and pin 20 is PC DTR. Pin 7 is GND and pin 1 is FD.
>
> Use your vom meter and check continuity between pins 4 and 5. Then between 6
> and 20 and then between 1 and 7. ***If ALL 3 PAIRS*** show they are already
> jumped then my idea is void and you should try something else.
>
> Bill

It turns out that I reset the radio and no help....I then took Bills
idea and since I couldn't pull the connector apart. I tried a short new
connector...and BAM the radio was talking to CT.
Thanks Bill.  I guess the lesson is all rs232 connectors are not the
same.

Other helpful information sent in from others follows, I appreciate all
the answeres.

73, Jay

I also have an FT1000D. This problem sounds familiar. Make sure that
your
radio is in VFO mode and not in MEMORY mode. This would definately cause
this kind of problem. My interface works great with version 9.27. I am
at
work so I don't have my manual with me but you can find out the Firmware
revision by reinitializing the radio. If I recall you have to press a
couple
of buttons when you power on...Ann WA1S

ay,

I just finished interfacing a FT1000MP that has a DB9 on the back.

You need to set N-8-2 and 4800 baud and the proper IRQ for your I/O
port on rthe computer.

For openers lose windows!
Use a straight through RS232C ser cable .  Rat Shack sells em for 10
bucks or make ur own   1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4 etc no cross overs.
DB9-DB9  or DB9-DB25
FOR CT:

1. Load COMTSR:
the radio COMTSR
example for me as follows....

     COMTSR3  -I10 -B4800 -N82

2. Run CT and make the appropriate settings for Radio #1

select  FT1000D

set the baud rate etc
3. Beware of IRQ conflicts!!!!!!!
    Internal modems usually on COM2
    Mouse usually on COM1
    Printers
    Sound cards,
    Auxilliary hard drive controllers (CDROM)
4. If you have a loaded up system, try putting a new disk in your A
drive
    Get in DOS  and do:     SYS A:
    It will make a clean boot disk and not load a bunch of crap in your
  machine.  Then try to get your radio port working.
5. After you get the radio port, you can load COMTSR for ur TNC
   and make a nice bat file to install and remove comtsrs.
GL, Bill
K1JKS at JUNO.COM    (waiting on new call)

Jay, I also have had similar problems. What I found was that a complete
reset often took care of it. On page 17 of my FT1000D manual, under the
heading "Power up selections", it tells you to turn off the rig and then
press and hold the Sub and Ent keys while also pressing the power switch
to "On". This solved for me getting CT to "talk" to the rig. This was
especially baffling as I had previously had success using the same rig
with another version of CT. I guess gremlins had invaded, HI. GL Tom

From:
         kf3p at cais.cais.com (Tyler Stewart)
     To:
         WX0B-JTERLESKI at postoffice.worldnet.att.net (Jay Terleski)

Make sure you COMTSR line for whatever port you are using has the proper
interupt specified for that port, as well as 8N2.

Your ROM is fine...that's a very late model radio.

You might try different COM ports as well.

73, Tyler

From:
         kf3p at cais.cais.com (Tyler Stewart)
     To:
         WX0B-JTERLESKI at postoffice.worldnet.att.net (Jay Terleski)

Make sure you COMTSR line for whatever port you are using has the proper
interupt specified for that port, as well as 8N2.

Your ROM is fine...that's a very late model radio.

You might try different COM ports as well.

73, Tyler

My advice is to either abandon CT or try to use an earlier version of
CT. I
think the problem is really limited to 9.27.

I left the name off since there were several messages like this one.

I think this indicates a weakness in support for CT.  Since my problem
was not even related to CT but several folks are blaming CT for this
kind of problem.

Befor any CT folks flame me read my original question and notice that I
never indicated any problem with CT, I actuall thought it was the radio
to begin with.

I hope this helps someone out there....I lost almost 3 nights fighting
this one when I could have been working on the station.

Thanks to all
Jay

From: vr2bg at asiaonline.net (VS6BrettGraham) (VS6BrettGraham)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 07:31:45 +0800 (HKT)
Subject: October Asia-Pacific Sprint date

The date of the next running of the Asia-Pacific Sprint has been published
by various sources on two different dates. The autumn event should be held
on the third Saturday of October, which is 19 October.  Some sources (CQ
Contest, QST, NCJ) give a date of 12 October, which is incorrect.

Please note that the correct date is 19 October.  See you then!
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^^^

73, VS96BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk

From: vr2bg at asiaonline.net (VS6BrettGraham) (VS6BrettGraham)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 07:34:18 +0800 (HKT)
Subject: solar.uleth.ca?

Has anybody noticed that fingering solar at solar.uleth.ca gets info for
1 October now & is no longer updated?  Anybody know what the story is?
Any suggestion on a suitably current non-Web alternative?

73, VS96BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk

From: wfeidt at cpcug.org (Bill Feidt) (Bill Feidt)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:52:23 -0400
Subject: CQWW SSB Contest DX Operations

I have put up a Web table of CQWW SSB Contest DX Operations.
It can be found at:

  http://www.cpcug.org/user/wfeidt/Misc/cqwwssb.html

There's also a link to it from my Announced DX Operations page:

  http://www.cpcug.org/user/wfeidt/Misc/adxo.html

Any corrections, additions, or suggestions will be most
welcomed.

Best wishes,

Bill/NG3K
wfeidt at cpcug.org

From: n3buo at ix.netcom.com (Dave Greig) (Dave Greig)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:40:11 -0500

Please listen for US. I will be on with over 100 Boy, Girl and Cub Scouts
from DFW area on HF and VHF Packet. If you here N3BUO please give us a call
Thanks

Dave N3BUO

----------

From: ehyatt at surfsouth.com (Eric D. Hyatt) (Eric D. Hyatt)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:56:31 -0400
Subject: DX Reflector

Contesting and DX'ing........

OK...I give up...where's the DX Reflector ?
Is VE7TCP down or moved?
I can ping it, but receiving no mail.

From: k2uvg at nfds.net (Hank Kahrs) (Hank Kahrs)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:27:53 -0500
Subject: JOTA

Ok...I'll jump on the bandwagon.  Look for W4ZBB (Playground Amateur Radio
Club) at the Spanish Trail Scout Reservation in Northwest Florida.  We will
be set up Field Day style in the middle of a Fall Camporee.  80 thru 10
meters including 12 and 17 meters....2m for the locals.

JOTA IS alive and well...If you dont talk to W4ZBB, talk to a scout or two
this weekend.  It's a very small investment in tomorrow's future!

73, Hank/K2UVG
k2uvg at nfds.net

From: k3lr at telerama.lm.com (k3lr) (k3lr)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:46:00 -0400
Subject: NA DOES have NNY

WD0GVY posted a message that his NA10.06 did not have the new NEW YORK
section , NNY. Why? He didn't download it from the NA BBS. The updated
section file has been on the BBS since June 4, 1996. It includes NNY.
All copies of NA sent out since June have the updated SECTIONS.MLT.
73,
Tim K3LR

K3LR at contesting.com
NA BBS  412-528-8877

From: prosper at airmail.net (Brent Childers) (Brent Childers)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:55:23 -0500
Subject: No subject

Fellow Contesters,

Being from the school of not jumping from a perfectly good airplane (sky
diving), I've finally talked myself into drilling/cutting into a perfectly
fine radio.

What I'm looking for is the information on adding the 2nd receive antenna to
the TS-850.  I have an email called "Mod 1", but not the "Mod 2" version.  I
believe the "Mod 2" was a relay installed to ground the receiver during
transmit.  Also after looking at the schematic for a while, I have not been
able to determine what voltage is used on the relay to switch reciever in
and out on the antenna connection.  Any help would be appreciated, and if
anyone has performed this mod on their 850, let me know how it went.

Tnx and Gud Luck to everyone in the CQWW - de KI5JC

From: rissanen.2 at NTCSAL01DA.NTC.NOKIA.COM (Rissanen Olli) (Rissanen Olli)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 12:07:01 +0300
Subject: 8R1K CQ WW SSB SOAB

8R1K - CQ WW SSB

Olli, OH0XX, will operate 8R1K in CQ WW SSB in Single op all band.

QSL via Suite 599, 1313 So. Military Trail, Deerfield Beach, FL33442, U.S.A.

See you in the contest!

73,

Olli

From: k0wa at southwind.net (Lee Buller) (Lee Buller)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 09:14:59 -0500
Subject: Summary I: Feeding 160 Inverted-L

A lot of people are asking for summaries.  So here is a summary of what is
going on.  There is  one I am not going to attach because is it lengthy and
be had from :

Here are the answeres I got:

K4SB
Lee, your antenna should work out to a quarter wave or so. In that case,
I would try direct feed. SWR shouldn't be over 1.5:1 AND WILL DROP WITH
THE NUMBER OF RADIALS YOU PUT IN!

KT7G
 cut the antenna for a 1/4 wave and feed direct with 50 ohm coax. I
had mine fed 8 ft off the ground with one counterpoise radial running thru
the trees 8-10 ft off the ground and was working stuff i only dreamed of in
the past. dont worry abt matching unless you are running longer than 1/4
wave then you need supposedly a series capacitance, i found you need an l
network to match the 3/8 wave antenna. just stick with the 1/4 wave inverted
l about 135 ft or so.

AA1K
I haven't used an L for several years, but when I did I followed
the suggestion of W1BB to make the wire a bit longer than 1/4 wave (140-160
feet) and use a series capacitor of a few hundred pf at the feedpoint to
tune out the reactance. You can use a variable capacitor and tune for
minimum SWR; if you like you can put the capacitor in a weatherproof box or
replace it with fixed transmitting mica capacitors.

G4DYO
I don't have a great score on 160 because I don't stay up all night, but
here's how I fired up an inverted L.....    Used about 135 ft of wire.... fed
it in the backyard with 50 ohm coax (earth braid to the "earth sustem" - just
a 3 ft copper pipe bashed into the ground).  Wire was pulled up vertically
about 30-40 ft with a halyard off the tower, and the horizontal section was
pulled across the top of the house on a rope and tied off in the front
garden.  The SWR was high so I just kept trimming the wire back until I got a
match... 120+ ft gave 1.1:1.  No matching network was employed at all. Now I
know that's not very scientific, and I know the experts would laugh - or
maybe cry - at this, but the antenna worked!   I got VK, ZL and JA - about
the furthest DX we can work from here - all without much trouble. In fact
I've got 160m WAC hanging on the wall.  I was so amazed at working VK6HD that
I sent him a 6 inch clipping off the end of the antenna!

I cannot put down any kind of reasonable earth system, although I have used
chicken fencing at the base of a 40/80 vertical in the front garden.  Seems
to work fairly well, but doesn't compare with the "real" antennas on those
bands.

So, if nobody comes up with pages of formulae and all that jazz, get a pair
of wire cutters out and tune it that way.  As for ATUs - there's only one
place for an ATU and that's the trash can.  Match your antennas outside -
that's my philosophy and it's worked pretty well.  Incidentally, my Inverted
L covered the whole of Top Band, although the SWR was a little high at the
top end.

Just to say that you can still have fun - and push out a reasonable signal -
without getting bogged down with all the arguments on the reflector about
numbers/lengths of radials, whether they should be elevated/under ground,
etc, etc.

K0EJ
I've had a few L's.  The one I have now is best so far.  I would try
making the antenna closer to 150' or so in length and then put a capacitor in
series with the feed point to tune out the extra "length (actually inductive
reactance)" and it arrives at a feedpoint impedance of 50 Ohms. I have a 500pf
5kv fixed cap and abt 10'of RG213 (abt 20pf/ft) in parallel as my "variable".
It resonates at abt 1810 kHz (may try shortening it a bit) with a 2:1 BW of
abt 80kHz. I have abt 1500' of on-ground radials of various lengths with the
longest abt 80'. I have abt 70 countries so far, all running the TS930
barefoot (including JA and VK) from Nashville. There may be better ideas, just
my experience.

N4KG
A resonant inverted L will be less than 50 ohms and zero reactance.
You can increase the feedpoint impedance by making the total length
greater which will also result in a series inductance.  This inductance
can be easily tuned out with a series capacitor.
It helps to have an antenna impedance analyzer like the new MFJ with
SWR and Resistance scales.  You will need more radials...16 is a good
place to begin...30 to 60 is required for good efficiency...make them
straight...cut off when you can't go any further...folding wire back
is counter-productive.

Additional information will be posted from my other computer at home in
Summary II.

Here is what happened to me:

This was my first Inverted-L.  I used #16 coppper wire from the ground to
the top of the tower where I placed a metal cross arm....jumpered over to
the tower where the horizontal element goes to a tree.  Total length is
about 145 feet.  I made it long for tuning reasons.  I could either cut back
the wire for resonance or use a capacitor in series to tune the line at the
feed point.  I opted for the capacitor.  Using a pretty large variable
(about 500 pf and will handle about 5,000 watts) I was able to tune the
antenna to around 2.0 Mhz using a MFJ 207 analyzer.  I did not have enough
capacitance to make the trip to 1.8 Mhz.  So, I rummaged around in the hold
junk box and produced a fairly large tuning capacity made of an old
receiver.  The capacitor was three sections which each section being 365 pf
for a total of around 1100 pf.  Using this capacitor, I was able to tune the
antenna down to 1.8 Mhz.  SWR at is 1.2 to one at 1.807 Mhz.  The SWR rises
to 2.0 around 1.865 which has rather a large bandwidth for 160 in my
experience.  The capacitor is 2/3 meshed, so I assume that I am using 700 to
800 pf.  Before, I had shunt fed a 50 foot tower with a TH-7 and that rig
proved to be fairly narrow in bandwidth.  The capacitor I am using won't
take the KW, but I have find my door knob caps in the junk box and add some
capacitance to the big variable capacitor.

The grounding system was incomplete.  The ground side was an 8-foot ground
rod with not radials (worked MT and IA with the thing the first night).
Radials will be put in this weekend.  All connections were done with
alligator clips and a more permanent installation will be made this weekend.

Comments and Flames should come to me....

Lee
k0wa at southwind.net