Multiple-Choice Packet-in-Contests Quiz

Douglas L. Klein WD8AUB at IX.NETCOM.COM
Thu Sep 26 23:07:09 EDT 1996

Norton, Richard wrote:

> Hypothetical Situation:
>
> Assume that you are connected with the judging of a large, popular,
> international DX contest. Assume that in judging one of the modes of the
> contest, some of the judges collectively spent over 100 man-hours looking at
> a few single-operator logs to see if there was evidence of use of
> packet-aided spotting.
>
> Assume that the judges were experienced and competent at both contest
> operating and log judging.
>
> Assume that all those judges involved came to the same conclusion, which was
> that a few single-operator entrants did use packet.
>
> Assume that the judges also determined that there was no way they could
> definitely prove that packet was used. Even things like two-character-errors
> in copying a long callsign, that had just also been made by several other
> multi-op members or assisted members of the operator's club, might just be
> circumstantial.
>
> Make no assumptions about what this would do, within the log-checking
> community, to the reputations of those suspected of packet-use, even if they
> happen to be innocent.
>
> Assume that the feeling among the judges is that packet presents a means by
> which some entrants easily CAN and HAVE cheated.
>
> The question:
>
> For this theoretical case, what should be done in the future, if anything?
>
> Possible choices:
>
> 1) Do nothing. Out-foxing the committee and other contestants is part of the
> contest. If these guys can do it, and the committee can't prove anything,
> these guys deserve to win.
>
> 2) Do nothing. There is no need for a committee to judge logs. The entrants
> should be trusted. Some bad apples will always be listed, but many of the
> high scores will actually be real.
>
> 3) Do nothing. Let packet-cheaters be listed in the results the same way
> that high-power cheaters are today. Their reputations can be handled in the
> hallways of Dayton and Visalia.
>
> 4)  Change the rules to allow packet spotting for single-operator
> categories. Operator skills should be only important in the Sprint.
> International DX contests should be primarily a measure of location and
> station.
>
> 5) Permit the committee to make a decision based on a vote of the judges to
> reclassify the log. Find more volunteers to perform these studies in every
> contest.
>
> 6) Beef up the judging committee. Have referees at the stations during the
> contest like was done at the WRTC.  Find volunteers in all parts of the
> country who know something about contests who want to spend their weekends
> acting as referees.
>
> 7) Work strongly to minimize this problem by discouraging use of packet in
> DX contests by anyone.
>
> 8) Work even more strongly to minimize this problem by making use of packet
> in contests, by anyone, against the rules.

> [...]

I vote for number 2.  We don't get paid in this hobby.  The only thing
that is hurt is our egos when we don't win.  And big deal.  We all know
that some contest stations cheat and run illegal power.  In the back
rooms in Dayton we all know who they are.  And those of us doing it
legally are content with coming behind the cheaters.

My vote:  Let them win.  I'm in it for the fun.

73 and CU in the next one (whether I win or not!!!!)

Doug WD8AUB

PS If we put as much effort into making our stations as competitive as
possible and towards preserving contesting in general (with proper
promotion of the youngsters and leadership by example) --- rather than
into developing Super Duper CIA Grade Artificial Intelligence Software
aimed at detecting the smallest of grievances so that ALL logs are on a
perfectly level playing table --- then our Contest Hobby will be
enriched.

(Sorry, that was an unusually long Run-On sentence)