[CQ-Contest] WPX Rules

Richard L. King k5na at bga.com
Wed Apr 16 10:24:36 EDT 1997

>K5TR says:

>Just as a data point - I have set/helped set records in
>the WPX contest (including the all time prefix record one year)
>using the callsign N5AU.  I think it is safe to say that it is
>being loud and knowing what you are doing is worth more than
>a "rare" prefix.

I have used K5NA and then KU2Q in successive years of the WPX CW while doing
a single-band 10M effort. With conditions seeming to be identical, the use
of KU2Q gave me more QSOs and many more multipliers. There is NO DOUBT in my
mind that having the KU2Q prefix made my score higher. The main reason for
the increase was the dramatic increase in rare USA prefixes that answered my
CQs. Many of these callers were giving me second radio QSOs that wouldn't
have bothered if I had been signing K5NA.

My conclusion is that if George had used a rare prefix instead of N5AU, he
might still hold the all-time prefix record.

73, Richard
K5NA at BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com