[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX CW and assisted classes

Jim Pratt n6ig at netcom.com
Sat Aug 30 15:43:29 EDT 1997

I note with interest the recent results of the 1997 ARRL DX CW contest.
I have heard it said over the years that "if single-op-assisted is a
"real" class of entry, how come they never beat the unassisted
entrants"?  Well, in 1997, that happened.  Top single-op-unassisted was
W1KM with 3.1Meg, top single-op-assisted was K1NG with 3.3Meg.  (Of
course, my sixth-place finish in the assisted class wouldn't even make
the top ten unassisted, but that's another story...)

I wonder if this will change anyone's mind about the assisted class of
contesting?  I also realize though that this wasn't a "real contest"
since it was the ARRL DX and not CQWW <grin>, as I have heard others
say.  In any case, congrats to KI1G, operator of K1NG, for this
tremendous feat!  And, I think I will operate single-op-unassisted in
CQWW CW this year, just for grins.

73, Jim  N6IG

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com