[CQ-Contest] Contest report: Yaesu "QUADRA" amp

Nd3f at aol.com Nd3f at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 07:41:08 EST 1997

Subtitled: how to turn a modest station into a loud one!

Borrowed KC3VO's FT1000mp and new Quadra amp for
the contest.  Took about an hour to setup, interface with
each other and CT, and test on the air.   Finished set up about one
hour before contest start.

Used a KT34A at 60 feet for 20/15/10, a big horizontal
loop (160M, open wire feedline) at about 65 feet in the trees for low bands.
Also some listening antennas.

Station worked great except for minor phone interference in
the house when on 15M. I could only do a part-time effort, but
wanted to try at least one Europe "run", and some nighttime
low band work--so that's what we planned for--about 24 hours
op time.

Amp runs cool, puts out nearly full power on every band (plenty
on 6M, too--tested that as well). Immediate band switching and
autotuning works great.  Full QSK if anyone uses that in a contest.
Quiet transitions.  The fan, on high, is noticeable but not loud, and
only runs when needed--most times it idled quietly.  KC3VO has
made some mods to the unit I used--full power out vice the 1200w.
spec, and some antenna switching mods that I didn't need.

I had to change my strategy--usually run QRP or maybe 100w, and
a rate of 20/hour S&P is fine with my station.  Packet doesn't help
because I can't bust a pileup easily--better to find 'em before they
are put out! But this time, I could S&P at around 60-70 hour, using
packet--just leave the spot window on "mults needed all bands" and
work 'em off, then go to QSO's needed all bands and do the same.

The first night was spent listening, spotting, and working almost everyone
I heard.  50 countries on 80M, all S&P, in about 7 hours, and another
50 on 40M with low antennas!  Mucho fun.

Saturday I went to 'LPLs to fill in on 15M S&P for awhile, so missed the
EU run window.  Saturday afternoon did a few hours here S&P on 20.
If I could hear 'em I could work 'em, usually in only one or two calls--
(but N3RR and "LPL usually beat me if I didn't get there first!)

The real test was Sunday AM--got up at 5 am local and 20 wasn't really
open yet, so picked up some more mults on the low bands--more fun!

At 6am local I found a freq high on 20, and called CQ--had a nice 121
hour, no sweat!  Then picked up a few odd mults on 20/15/10 and
had another 110 hour calling CQ on 15.  Then another "clean up" on
the high bands, (and VK, JA on 40), and a 100+ hour on 10 M.  Used
the second rx/tx to find some mults, but don't have that mastered yet--
had to concentrate on one or the other...

Never had an hour higher than 70 (except in domestic contests) at
my station before, so the QUADRA did it! Ended with about 900 Qs
in 25 hours, but had a 100 average for 5 Sunday morning hours.

Final total about 1.3M in 26 hours with 400+total country mults.
COOL!

Bottom line--1000MP + QUADRA is the way to go if you want a quick
boost to your score!  Lots of fun to use and works great with packet
assistance!

Obviously, I'm not affiliated with Yaesu in anyway (but if I had $8K to
spend, I'd be a little more closely affiliated with them!).  Thanks to
Bob for the equipment loan.

73
Brian ND3F at aol.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com