[CQ-Contest] Audio Formats

Kevin Schmidt w9cf at ptolemy.la.asu.edu
Wed Dec 3 18:07:52 EST 1997

Wayne E. Wright" <w5xd at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>There exists CONTEST software written to the Windows multi-media
>API so it runs on just about any sound hardware you might plug into
>a PC. It does WAV files for digitized voice (so you can use real
>tools to edit your audio).

I'm not disagreeing (except maybe on the definition of real tools), but
if you want to use WAV or most any other audio format to make up sound
files for your DVP, DVK, sound card, or what have you, you can readily
convert between formats.

I use the program sox (short for Sound Exchange).  It' free, source is
available, and it compiles under unix or DOS and maybe other operating
systems.  Executables are available for DOS. Search on sound exchange
sox with your Web Browser. The version I run is 12.12.  It will convert
between most audio formats including AIFF, HCOM, CD-R, AU, RAW, VOC,
WAV, etc.

It should allow you to use whatever sound tools you like to produce
audio files for whatever hardware/software you have. I'm sure there
are other similar utilities.

The unanswered question is why every company decided they had to invent
a new sound file format when they discovered audio.

73 Kevin w9cf
Kevin Schmidt w9cf at ptolemy.la.asu.edu
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287-1504
(602) 965-8240
(602) 965-7954 (FAX)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com