[CQ-Contest] Kenwood TS-850 vs TS-870

Mike no6x at inreach.com
Fri Dec 5 14:56:48 EST 1997

>Just replaced my TS-940/500hz filters with a new TS-870.  >No comparison.

Boy I was beginning to think I was the only one in the country who liked
the 870...I agree with the quiet receiver, and it is sure nice to dial in a
cw sig, with a guy 100 hz away, turn the filter down to 50 Hz and work him
with out any hallow sound or ringing and  virtually no signal loss in that
either...I defy any of you with crystal or ceramic filters to do the same.
I think that has got to be one of the greatest features of the rig.
Wasn't too sure I had made the right choice until one night worked a 4j
then moved up 150Hz and worked a JY9, ..no big deal right...called 2
friends of mine, both with 4 element monobanders, that could not even hear
the 4j, and I run a tri-bander (3 elements) at 40 feet and I could hear him
fine.

>From the dumb kid in CA
Mike...NO6X

Check out my home page at http://home.inreach.com/no6x