[CQ-Contest] Submitting To ARRL by FTP

Jeffrey Maass jmaass at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Wed Dec 10 16:50:21 EST 1997

Folks: I am ready to submit by FTP my first log to ARRL since returning to
contesting and starting to use NA (ARRL 160 Meter Contest). I have read the
'ARRL Contest Entry Options' page on the ARRL Web site, but still find I
have some questions. Could someone confirm that I am about to Do Right?

1) The 'K8ND.LOG' file created by NA 10.25 looks vaquely similar to
   the ARRL Suggested File Format and the sample sample provided by ARRL on
   the Web page, but with some additional fields. Is this the correct log
   file to include in the submission?

2) Combine and compress the *.SUM and the K8ND.LOG file using pkzip.exe.

   ARRL seems to be specific about the name for the log (e.g. 'K8ND.LOG'),
   but doesn't mention how to name the summary sheet file (*.sum) at all.

   When submitting by E-mail, they say to merge the summary sheet and
   log together prior to sending. For FTP submissions, they imply that
   they files should be seperate, but archived together using PKZIP.EXE.
   Should the summary sheet and the log file be combined with a text
   editor prior to archiving the combined file K8ND.LOG with PKZIP.EXE?

   Is there a required naming convention for the compressed archive which
   is uploaded?

   How does the Contest person know what contest it's for without
   expanding it (or does he/she care)? It seems like 160 Meter
   and 10 Meter Contest logs are going to be combined in directory
   /logs.

3) Upload the combined, compressed archive to /logs at ftp.arrl.org.

Is there any way to confirm that the entry and logs got there and that
they are correctly submitted, or do I find out when I look for my results
in the April issue of QST and fail to find them?

Thanks for the guidance!

73,

Jeff Maass       (jmaass at freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio K8ND
      USPSA/IPSC # L-1192   NROI/CRO          NW of Columbus Ohio
      25000 Members in 2000!

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com