[CQ-Contest] ARRL 10m States?

Rick Bullon kc5ajx at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 12 02:45:30 EST 1997

>> Are we back into the golden years of good propagation? - Is the
>> upturn of cycle 23 underway? Will the 10m polar path, and long paths
>> reopen in 1997?  These questions and many others will be answered
>> in the ARRL 10m contest December 13-14.
>
>Thirty hours before the contest, the flux sits at 95. I'm not holding
>my breath for openings like we had in CQWWCW. You never know though.
>
>BUT our good friend sporadic E has kicked it into gear, at least
>yesterday: a quick swing through the beacon band around 1930Z
>turned up 19 beacons from 7 US call areas, VE3, LU, and VP8,
>with just a wire antenna. Sure hope THAT comes back this weekend.

   At 00:30 Z I turned on the rig just for something to listen too while
I was cleaning things up for the contest this weekend. I forgot it was
on 10 meters and there are lots of 59 signals on the band ( honest 59
not contest 59 signals).
  I made 3 or four contacts till the XYL called me for supper. Hope this
continues for the weekend.

>> But please, please, pretty please can we have phonetics instead
>> of long names for the North American States and Provinces?
>
>That is a good point. Last year I did had to give phonetics to a lot
>of DX stations who thought Mississippi was "MI". After a while I was
>saying "five nine Mississippi Mike Sierra" to all of 'em.

I usally just give 59 Texas then if I'm asked for fills several times I
give it as 59 Tango Xray. What ever it takes to get the exchange though

>Reason #5890345 to Just Do CW, I s'pose.
>
>-- Ray, WQ5L ... see y'all from K5MDX this weekend!

 Well Ray doubt I'll hear you but you never know I heard 2 5 stations
that were loud and then I heard a few QSO's where I couldn't hear the 5
station just the the station the 5 was talking to.
73
Rick
KC5AJX