[CQ-Contest] Re: [TowerTalk] Optimum Height for 10M Beam

T A RUSSELL n4kg at juno.com
Sat Dec 13 12:17:36 EST 1997

Optimum Heights   (once again!)   de  N4KG

For FLAT ground, generally, you need a HIGH   AND   LOW antenna
to cover ALL the angles that the ionosphere will support.  I find that
my 40 ft high antennas beat out the higher ones during daylight
hours to Europe and Africa.  Being close to the Caribbean, my
HIGH antennas are often better than the low ones for the close-in DX
since I must get there on a ONE  HOP (low angle) mode.  Guys further
north probably can utilize the higher angle two hop mode.

IMHO, everyone needs a tribander at 35 to 40 ft for daytime operation
and a higher antenna to open/close the bands and for nighttime operation.

If the ionosphere will support both low and high angles and the DX
station is using a low antenna (high angle) what height do you think
will produce the best signals to and from such an installation?

Everyone I know who has BOTH high and low antennas with a flat
foreground, observes the LOW antenna outperforming the high one
during daylight hours on the high bands.

de  Tom  N4KG

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com