[CQ-Contest] Help out fellow contesters?

Ramirez, Kenneth EXCH KRAMIREZ at intermedia.com
Tue Dec 16 09:53:36 EST 1997

                I hope Trey doesn't mind this plea for help on the
contest reflector. I have been in communication with KH2D on Guam
island. I'm sure most of you have worked Jim in many a contest. Jim
has set up a Dxcluster(tm) on the island with telnet access to a W5
Dxcluster(tm). The Marianas islands have always had a problem with
communications links in that most of the equipment
(computers,TNCs,repeaters,etc) always QSY back to the states or
elsewhere whenever the owner gets transferred. Jim has formed the
Marianas Islands DX Association in an effort to establish PERMANENT
communications via a packet link between Guam, Saipan, Rota, and
Tinian. (KH2 and KH0)
                The necessary equipment is hard to come by out there
and is usually cost prohibitive for many of the poorer ham residents
of the islands.. They want to use the link during contests but most
especially for use during the numerous typhoons they experience, one
of which is cutting across the middle of Guam as we speak. All
communication with KH2D has been cut off presently due to the typhoon
they are getting now. I am collecting donations of excess computer
parts. ( old motherboards, TNCs ,cases, video cards ,hard drives,small
2m yagis, etc., etc.) to ship to Jim so he can get an Island wide
network set up. WH0AAV will be the first KH0 on the new network as
soon as we can get him a computer and a TNC.(we're also working on
Jun's 75m signal by tring to locate an HF2V antenna to replace the low
dipole he now uses on that band) Many of you have also worked Jun
plenty of times in the contests. If any of you have any excess
outdated computer stuff that you have been thinking of throwing away
please let me know via E-mail. It can be put to GOOD use over in the
far Pacific!!!   73 Ken N4UK
221 Beaverdam Creek Rd., Gray Court, SC 29645

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com