[CQ-Contest] Santa's Quandry

Hill, Russell C. margoh at compuserve.com
Tue Dec 23 00:36:08 EST 1997

Happy Holidays, all:
Santa is interested in the TS-570S, the FT920, and the IC-756. (Santa does
want to try 6M in the new radio.)  Judging by the QST reviews, the IC-756
has the most complete set of features, but the "dirtiest" transmitter.  The
TS-570S has the "cleanest" xmitter, but the fewest features.  QST quotes
Icom as saying the 756 units produced after April 1, 1979 were to have been
cleaned up, and the LCD on the Icom appears to be a really neat feature,
but maybe it is in fact basically a sales gimmick.

I am interested in a radio which will work best for me as a contest radio,
but cannot afford the high end units.  I want the best receiver I can get,
but not at the expense of having a xmitter which trashes up the spectrum.
I am primarily interested in low power contesting.

I am soliciting thoughts, experiences, and biased or unbiased opinions
about any of these radios.  If I have a significant number of replies I
will try to summarize results on the reflector.

Thanks in advance.

73
Rusty
NA5TR