[CQ-Contest] THE TRUTH: fcc rf guidelines

k6ll at juno.com k6ll at juno.com
Tue Dec 30 10:58:47 EST 1997

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 08:08:26 EST Doug KR2Q <DougKR2Q at aol.com> writes:
>IMHO, this a VERY POWERFUL NEW TOOL to HELP hams!  How do you think
>towns will
>react when they discover that HIGHER IS BETTER in terms of exposure?
>Don't
>you think that the neighbors will now WANT the antennas further away
>(UP!).

An interesting thought. Here's one data point that might apply during
a RTTY contest:

freq: 28.1
power out: 1500 watts
KT-34XA (11dBd, according to KLM)
100' 9913
100% emission mode duty factor
70% transmitting duty cycle (lots of "cq contest")

According to my spreadsheet, the antenna would have to be 60' from
me and my family, and 133' from any neighbors. I guess I should go
argue for a 140' tower!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL at juno.com