Mode Happy...was license restructuring

N3ADL at aol.com N3ADL at aol.com
Tue Feb 4 16:39:44 EST 1997

I know I'm gonna catch hell from my contesting buddys but I think some of you
guys are a little "Mode Happy". Whats the big deal with Code Speed? Other
parts of the world require only a "knowledge"  of code.  Code is a MODE. What
speed is required of phone operators? If you like CW, FB,.... and I support
your desire to keep CW as a part of the amateur licensing program....but I
think 5-10 wpm is sufficient knowledge of the code for ANY license....(flame
suit stress test in progress)   {$->

 I would prefer we go back to a "fill in the blanks" theory tests that
incorporates intensive Parts 97 questions as well as practical operating
questions that require the applicant to know  the theory and "rules of the
road"....... for ALL license classes

Todays tests are memorized by the vast majority of applicants. Since building
is a dying art most of todays hams don't give a rats ass what the gain is of
a closed loop op-amp circuit. Todays new Ham is an appliance operator. He/she
wants to go to HRO or the local ham radio store, plop down the Visa card, and
cart home a new transciver. If it breaks they go buy another one. So, to me,
circuit design theory is a waste of time and paperwork to a lot of the new
blood. I'm not sure what the answer is but to me the whole thing needs an
overhaul if we intend to invite more people to our hobby..... We have to look
REALISTICALLY at the future and see what will attract the new op and at what
price. Be sure and let your league officials know your feelings. If they
don't hear a big uproar they'll assume you approve of the proposal the way it
is. The squeeky wheel syndrome.....

73 de Doug // N3ADL  // V26DX
Team Antigua 1996 on the web: http://www.frc-contest.org/v26b/v26bqso.html
V26B QRV ARRL Phone 1997 / CQWW Phone 97 and qualifies for the FRC 70th
Anniversary Award Certificate.