CW WPX Weekend Change

W5ASP at aol.com W5ASP at aol.com
Tue Feb 11 01:44:28 EST 1997

re: Changing the CQ WPX CW Weekend

This is one instance where another "me to" may be worthwhile....

Yes, definitely let's do everything we can to have WPX CW moved into April.

Over the past ten years I've operated WPX CW as /ZF8 (twice),  V31KF, /GM0,
ZF1A, VP5Z, and from W5. In each case traveling over the Memorial Day weekend
has been the source of problems of one sort or another. (Yes, it's only a
stateside holiday, BUT... lots of folks take vacations over that long
weekend, and more often than not, it's a real zoo out there...) Making late
reservations of any kind is nearly impossible... and those you think you had
nailed down way ahead of time can suddenly disappear.

And more importantly, the accompanying investment of time, effort and money
with only the expectation of so-so band conditions definitely takes some of
the zest out ot it. Poor propagation and crashing low band QRN just doesn't
go to making happy campers.

I've never quite understood why we waste the entire eight week period
following WPX Phone without a single major contest while the conditions are
reasonably good. One punishment tour with IARU is enough for the summertime.
Fortunately they cut that one back to 24 hours!

Obviously, I think it's a great contest, especialy for a single op. And I
plan to be somewhere come the end of May. BUT, I hope that next year we can
all thank Steve, N8BJQ and the folks at CQ for making a wise decision to
change the date.

Thanks for listening...

73, Joe, W5ASP