[CQ-Contest] CQ 160 m SSB Ethics Summary - Recommendations (long)

John Brosnahan broz at csn.net
Fri Feb 28 12:48:04 EST 1997

>     "S 97.307 Emission Standards
>b) Emissions resulting from modulation must be confined to the band or
>segment available to the control operator. Emissions outside the necessary
>bandwidth must not cause splatter or keyclick interference to operations on
>adjacent frequencies."
>     This means, in case you don't know or forgot, that you can not transmit
>LSB on 3750.7 (Extra class US), or USB on 14349.3, and if DX windows is
>designated as 1830 - 1835, you can not transmit LSB on 1835.7 (big period). I
>don't think it takes a genius to figure this out, or pack of lawyers to twist
>it around. Is it so hard to comprehend that THERE IS A SIGNAL, be it carrier
>or modulation?  If it is still not clear, perhaps you should call FCC for
>clarification.
>Consensus is: Rules are ment to be kept, offenders should be punished. It
>would be beneficial to have Contest Committe observers to gently remaind
>offenders and where appropriate, report to the Contest sponsor and present
>recomendation for eventual disqualification.

Yuri, I believe that if a DX Window has been established it should be
respected by all hams because I believe that hams are ladies
and gentlemen until proven otherwise.

BUT (and that is a very large exception)  there is a very big
difference between an FCC rule and its application to frequency
selection and  what is a "Gentlemen's Agreement" DX Window.
To try to make a case that a voilation of the DX WIndow is
the same as out-of-band operation is just too big a stretch for me.

John  W0UN

John Brosnahan
La Salle Research Corp.
24115 County Road 40