[CQ-Contest] IARU Rules in CQ Mag

Larry A. Crim k4ab at nerak.companet.net
Tue Jul 1 18:48:15 EDT 1997

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Bill Fisher, W4AN wrote:

> In CQ Magazine this month the rules of the IARU read as follows:
>
> Categories:  Single Operator, CW only, phone only, and mixed modes.
> Multi-Operator, single transmitter, mixed mode only.  Stations must remain
> on a band for at least 10 minutes.
>
> Now...  I read this to say that EVERYONE has to stay on a band for 10
> minutes once you have QSY'ed.  Even single-ops.  Am I wrong?  That doesn't
> make much sense to me.

No, CQ is wrong.

The "offical" IARU rules lists the "10 minute" rule under the
Multioperator category.  Rule 5, paragraph B--titled " Categories:".
No such mention in the single operator category.

Go ahead and QSY at will, Bill!

BTW, this is a good time to mention how much fun you can have in this
contest.  The 24 hour format, plus ability to work both modes, plus
summer-time propagation make this contest a blast.  Also, state-side guys
get to spend Friday night and most of Sunday with your family, and STILL
put in a full effort.

CU next weekend.

73,
Larry K4AB