[CQ-Contest] Text Editor for .BIN Files?

ae327 at lafn.ORG ae327 at lafn.ORG
Sat Jun 21 12:02:41 EDT 1997

I help with the checking of logs for a large contest. We receive a few
binary log files that have been somehow corrupted that I am unable to
decode. These are usually .BIN files from K1EA's CT program.

I can look at the files with a viewer, such as X-Tree, and see where
the file is corrupted. If it were a text file, I could just edit out
the corrupt line, where the entrant might loose one contact, and then our
software would decode the rest of the file.

I have used Norton Utilities to edit individual characters, but can't
delete lines, or add or delete characters.

Does anyone know of software that can edit .BIN files in a manner
similar to the way in which word-processors edit text files? What I
am looking for is ability to press delete while on a character, and
all the following parts of the file will move up one space, filling
the hole.

Note that this problem goes away if people send in the .ALL files.
This is something we learned with experience.

Thanks in advance for any help.

73,

Dick Norton, N6AA         ae327 at lafn.org

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com