[CQ-Contest] CQ 160 m SSB Ethics Summary - Recommendati

n4si at pobox.com n4si at pobox.com
Sat Mar 1 21:38:23 EST 1997

> >     "S 97.307 Emission Standards
> >b) Emissions resulting from modulation must be confined to the band or
> >segment available to the control operator. Emissions outside the necessary
> >bandwidth must not cause splatter or keyclick interference to operations on
> >adjacent frequencies."

> Yuri, I believe that if a DX Window has been established it should be
> respected by all hams because I believe that hams are ladies
> and gentlemen until proven otherwise.
>
> BUT (and that is a very large exception)  there is a very big
> difference between an FCC rule and its application to frequency
> selection and  what is a "Gentlemen's Agreement" DX Window.
> To try to make a case that a voilation of the DX WIndow is
> the same as out-of-band operation is just too big a stretch for me.
>
> John  W0UN

John, I agree with you from a statutory point, but I think Yuri might
have been trying to make the case that an excessively wide signal,
regardless of location in the band doesn't meet spectral purity
standards. I think that was the tone of many of the other posts after
the contest, as well.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996