[CQ-Contest] Re: IC-781 opinions

John Warren nt5c at easy.com
Sun Mar 2 20:09:27 EST 1997

Yuri K3BU wrote:

|Is Icom IC 781 "dream rig" perfect, or are there modifications
|and improvements (filters) available for it?
|How does IC775DSP compare with 781?
|Still trying to make radio out of TS870, stand by.

This may not be quite the answer you were expecting Yuri, but here goes anyway!

I'm sure that having an IC 781 would be interesting, but at least recognize
that it's an inefficient use of your amateur radio money. In terms of
contest or dx results, you would be FAR better off buying something at the
FT1000/IC775 price range, and  putting the extra money into antenna system
improvements (top priority), or a second back-up rig (can't beat
reliability!), or many other performance enhancements for your station.

Any incremental benefits of the IC 781 over an FT1000D (for example) are
minimal compared to what that same money will deliver elsewhere in your
total system.

John, NT5C.

P.S. That's why value-oriented engineers (like me) always buy Toyota
Camrys, while scientists (money no object) buy BMWs and Mercedes, right
guys?

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com