[CQ-Contest] 830s...tks!

Robert Naumann n5nj at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 12 12:18:12 EST 1997

Both of your concerns regarding beverage hookups and the transverter
connection are easily handled via the "Transverter Jack" on the back panel
of the 830.  Check the schematic in the manual and you'll see that there is
RX  in and out, and low level TX out available on that jack.  The ease of
doing this is one of the reasons I bought a 940 after the 830.  All the
connections are identical.

Another good reason for using an 830 as a second rig is that it produces no
phase noise whatsoever - it can't as it's not that kind of technology.  We
have used an 830 as the second 15 meter rig at N2RM with fairly competitive
results for years.  If/when you get replacement filters for it, I'd
strongly suggest getting some after-market 2.1 SSB filters and for CW I
used the Kenwood 500 Hz filters with good success.  the "stock" Kenwood SSB
filter is relatively poor.

73,
Bob Naumann N5NJ
ex KR2J