[CQ-Contest] more 830 talk

KL7RA Fairbanks Alaska kl7ra at icefog.gcgo.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 13 21:19:22 EST 1997

And another Kenwood 830 radio testimonial.

I couldn't resist jumping in before this thread dies. I own five
and use them in the multi-multi for some of the following reasons:

Good receiver with VBT and IF shift.
All look and operate the same.
Great noise blanker.
Easy to repair and align.
Low phase noise on transmit.
Cheap!

830's work great for two radio same band setups. You don't hear the
noise floor go up on the s/p radio when the 830 run radio is
transmitting. I have tried just about all the solid state radios
and they all blast the s/p radio. I think my 940 is the worst of
the lot with the 781 not far behind. Using the FT1000 on the same
band was like beating a rented mule, kind of fun, but wasn't
getting any work done.

For the ARRL 10 meter contest 830's work great for multi-op. One
year I used four. Two on cw and two on ssb. I have six yagi's for
the ten meter band. At any one time we had one guy running rate and
three searching. We were like a ten meter vacuum cleaner.

Great fun, but only because the 830's work in this environment. We
had spent most of the morning trying different radio's in different
combination/antenna selections before giving up and going back to
830's.

If you are looking for a good low cost backup to your 1990's radio,
the 830 would be a great choice.

Rich  KL7RA

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com