[CQ-Contest] Contest expedition amplifiers (fwd)

Tim Totten, N4GN n4gn at iglou.com
Sun Mar 23 23:43:21 EST 1997

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 19:39:11 -0800
From: Trey Garlough <trey at kkn.net>
To: n4gn at iglou.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest expedition amplifiers

>Trey, I realize this could be construed as advertising, so I thought I'd
>run it past you first.

No problem -- go ahead and post it.

--Trey

----------

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Robert Whelan wrote:

> I believe there has been some discussion about light weight efficient
> amplifiers for DXpedition contesting.

At C21BH this past November (incl WW CW), we used three new prototype 1 kW
solid state amps designed by Pekka, OH1RY.  It's my understanding that his
company, FinnFET will be marketing this amplifier (perhaps in a couple of
models) soon.

I've got to say I was very much impressed with the amps.  They do a solid
kW output, with full automatic bandchanging (one model also had a manual
band switch knob, presumably for use with non-computer controlled radios).
They use a 50 V, 50 A matching power supply.  The amp and supply are each
about the size of a small shoe box, and they are very light weight (I wish
I could remember exactly).

It's really impressive to put an entire kW station in a small carry-on bag
now--HF rig, amp, supply, headphones, paddles, some wire antennas and
coax.  Throw in a pair of swim trunks, and you're ready to go to the
islands (swim trunks are optional for some destinations).

The three models we had on Nauru were 160-10 meters, but Pekka also
mentioned adding six meters to the production unit.  I think he's got a
real winner on his hands.  I certainly plan to be in line when he starts
taking orders.

73,

 Tim Totten, N4GN  (formerly KJ4VH)
n4gn at iglou.com   n4gn at contesting.com