[CQ-Contest] WPX Contest

VK1FF / WB2FFY VK1FF at contesting.com
Sun Mar 30 22:52:20 EST 1997

Tom (N4KG),

>>Is WPX an international or domestic contest?
>>

>	IT  IS BOTH   (N4KG)

For many, the title "CQ World-Wide WPX [CW/SSB] Contest"
suggests a "DX" contest.   But, technically I guess your right.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^

Interestingly, several have suggested that this contest is all
about prefixes......however, I wonder what particular aspect of
the WPX draws more interest in the contest...

   the prefixes or working DX (outside one's own country).

I could be wrong, but my guess the majority are more interested
in the DX.

IMHO it's a 'DX' contest which uses PREFIXES (vice zones or whatever)
in it's scoring formula.  The contest currently has point system which
encourages "DX" contacts and should continue to do so.

>HAVE YOU EVER WORKED THE ARRL TEN METER CONTEST?
>ALL CONTACTS COUNT THE SAME...SAME COUNTRY,
>SAME CONTINENT, DIFFERENT CONTINENTS....AND I WOULD
>HARDLY CONSIDER THAT A DOMESTIC USA CONTEST.

Funny you should mention this contest as it's an all time favorite
here in the South Pacific.

Seriously, to answer your question.  I tried it once and haven't wasted
my time on it since.   We have a tough time even competing on a
continental level, with Hawaii on the US door step.

>AND WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT...IT WON'T  H A R M  OTHER COUNTRIES, JUST

Scenario:
	intra-country   = 1 pt
	intra-continent = 2 pt
	inter-continent = 3 pt

I'm a N4 station.  Should I

	a.  waste my time trying to work weak signals from the South Pacific and
	    Asia which have limited number of unique prefixes (multipliers)
	    and run the risk of a low QSO/hr ratio.

		or

	b.  work loud signals from the US, where nearly every contact is a new
	    prefix (multiplier), and the QSO/hr ratio will likely be high.

The 1pt change is more than allowing stations to work fellow countrymen
to work each other during slow time or poor conditions.  The higher QSO/hr
ratio and the abundant multipliers will change the contest into a US domestic
affair.

There are 20 prefixes the COUNTY where I'm from in New York and 8 different
prefixes in my home town alone (population 3000).   As you know there are
only 8 prefixes for all of mainland Australia.

>>However for me, the World Prefix Contest is about working DX prefixes
>>not about working the ham down the street.  (YOU ARE REDEFINING THE
>CONTEST  TO   Y O U R   LIKING...I BELIEVE THE WPX AWARD IS FOR  ALL
>PREFIXES).

........the 1996 Amateur Radio Almanac says it's the second largest "DX"
contest (quoted from N8BJQ).

>> Have you ever contested from the South Pacific?   A level playing
>> field is EXACTLY what we're talking about.

> (You are in a TOUGH location to compete, I agree.  de N4KG)

Increasing domestic (US) activity is not going to make things any easier.

73, Jim  VK1FF / WB2FFY

---------

I'd like to continue participating in this discussion, unfortunately I'm
going
to have to sign off the reflector while I'm away on business (to keep the
email mailbox under control).   I'd be interested in any further comments you
might have Tom.........send them direct if you'd like.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com