[CQ-Contest] SS Exchange - Sending the other guys call.

Tim Totten, N4GN n4gn at iglou.com
Sat Nov 8 11:10:03 EST 1997

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Ric Painter wrote:

> However, upon rereading the rules and examining the
> example given in QST for the exchange,  it does show
> that both call signs are to be exchanged.

Now wait a minute.  The RULES list the required elements of the exchange,
and they say nothing about sending the other guy's call.  It's simply not
part of the exchange.

The EXAMPLE only shows how WJ1U responds to W1AW (i.e., WJ1U is calling CQ
and W1AW answers the CQ).  In that case, like in every other contest I can
think of, the CQer responds to the answerer by sending the answerer's call
(which is NOT part of the exchange), followed by the exchange.

When you're in S&P mode, there is no REQUIREMENT to send the other guy's
call.  Although, as Bill alluded, it can be helpful in those cases where
the S&P guy has no clue how to get close to zero beating the CQer.  After
the CQer sends his exchange to me, I just send "TU" followed by the serial
number and rest of the exchange.

I'll be quiet now.  With two postings in < 24 hr, I've already exceeded my
normal monthly allowance.

73,

Tim Totten, n4gn at iglou.com
http://www.iglou.com/n4gn/