[CQ-Contest] When somebody busts your call?

Nate Bargmann ka0rny at midusa.net
Wed Nov 19 00:56:18 EST 1997

Hi All.

Over the SS weekend (which was a total gas!) I managed to work one of
the semi-rare multipliers early on.  After finally getting through,
the exchange was performed and I realized after it was too late the
other op had gotten one of the letters of my call wrong!  Since I was
kind of stunned, I didn't try to re-call the op and correct the
mistake figuring I probably wouldn't get through the pileup again.  I
mulled this over as the contest went on and then found the same
station during a slack period of the 'test.  This time the op
acknowledged my callsign correctly indicating that indeed I was
listed wrong in the log.

I suppose the approach I took to handle this was wrong as I now have
the advantage of about 2 1/2 days perspective!  What I did was to try
to explain to the op that we had worked before and gave the
information sent me and I gave the op the information I sent when we
worked the night before.  Instead, the op asked for my report
repeatedly.  Tired and flustered I let the whole thing go.  My
solution was to work the section again, the QSO of which I believe
would stand up to scrutiny.

So what should I have done?  At the time my thought was that I
shouldn't log the op again as it would be a dupe for me (perhaps this
is the thing to do), but my thought was that it would give the other
op one more QSO which I didn't think was quite right.  I thought I
should try to correct the original mistake, but obviously that didn't
work either.  Since the op was working a good rate, I didn't think it
was fair to slow the rate or ask other stations to wait while I tried
to ensure myself a possible sweep.  As it is, that station has a
unique, yet it can conceivably be cross-checked back to my log.

So, I guess it depends on whether the log checkers throw out just
the other op's unique or both of our Qs or any at all that this will
make a difference.  What do the rest of you do in a similar
situation?

Thanks,

73, de Nate >>

     Packet   | KA0RNY @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM        | "If wires can be
     Internet | ka0rny at midusa.net                      | connected in two
     Location | Valley Center, KS USA EM17hs           | different ways,
             View yet another web page at:             | the first way
       http://homepage.netspaceonline.com/~ka0rny/     | blows the fuse!"

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com