[CQ-Contest] Filter combos for CW contesting

Nate Bargmann ka0rny at midusa.net
Thu Sep 18 00:27:56 EDT 1997

Hi Steve and all.

> What is the wisdom of the group regarding filters used in CW contesting?
> If, for the purpose of discussion, "standard" filtering is assumed to be
> first and second i.f. 500hz filters, who out there finds this to be
> inadquate and who finds it too restrictive, and why?

Like you I am rather new to CW contesting only being involved to any
extent the past 4 years or so.  Until this past Field Day all I had
done was search and pounce and typically on my TS-830S I rolled the
VBT up to narrow things as much as possible.  I have only the Kenwood
500 Hz filter in the 8.8 MHz IF (I should put better filtering
in...).  On Field Day the past few years I had the opportunity to use
an FT-890 with a 250 Hz filter and it really allows one to slice
through the closely packed stations.

This year's Field Day I ran (HA! called CQ and worked stations slowly
was more like it!) for the first time and found the 250 Hz filter way
too tight.  I wished for a 500 Hz selection but had to make do with
the stock SSB filter.  Time will tell, but without close QRM I think
I'd prefer a slightly wider filter for running than for search and
pounce.

My $.02 worth!

73, de Nate >>

     Packet   | KA0RNY @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM        | "If wires can be
     Internet | ka0rny at midusa.net                      | connected in two
     Location | Valley Center, KS USA EM17hs           | different ways,
             View yet another web page at:             | the first way
       http://homepage.netspaceonline.com/~ka0rny/     | blows the fuse!"

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com