[CQ-Contest] ZL3GQ's Passing

Scott Ellington sdelling at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 2 10:03:47 EST 1998

I, too, am very sorry to hear of Peter's passing.  In addition to many contest QSO's,
including one in the ARRL cw contest this February, I visited him in 1994.  An
excerpt from  my journal:

***************
Tuesday, Feb. 1, 1994   Christchurch

I have dinner with Peter, ZL3GQ, and his wife Mary.  They have traveled all
over, often visiting other hams.  They have met UA1CK, the Russian ham I
visited in 1976.  They tell me they always get a few visiting hams every
summer.  (Peter is very active in contests, so is widely known among other
hams.)  Mary didn't recognize me when she picked me up, because I "Didn't look
like an American".  I think she means that as a compliment, though she doesn't
say what I DID look like.  Mary warns of crime along the East Cape, but says
it's better NOT to look like an American there.

After dinner, Peter shows me his radio station, we listen around a bit, and he
gives me some tips for the coming contest.  He has about 6 acres of land, and
lots of antennas, but everything is simple, homemade, and inexpensive.

Scott  K9MA
sdelling at facstaff.wisc.edu

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com