[CQ-Contest] WPX (and other contests) - how many hours

CP2235 CP2235 at aol.com
Sat Apr 4 09:38:58 EST 1998

I agree with the concept of keeping the 36 hour format (or even lengthening it
to 48) and set up a 24-hour competition between those who want.
You may be right in stating that those who want can already run the WWDX for
48 hours BUT dont forget there are many stations (like me for example) who
cannot just run EVERY contest in the year thereby having the CQWW for 48hour
pleasures, the WPX for 24-hour-shoutout pleasures, etc.
Many of us are limited to running just a FEW contests a year and it may well
be that working or family schedules exclude WWDX in one particular year, WPX
in the other. So if the appropriate date falls on the WPX in one year than I
can understand that somebody wants to run for the full length.
Also, if somebody sees contesting not mainly as a competition-against-others
event but mainly as a fun event (like me) why limit his fun in limiting his
operating time?
((And please dont forget: the world is NOT limited to US east coast and US
west coast. A set of rules that is tailored to their needs only is not
suitable for a worldwide contest.))

On the other hand I really see the need to set up a playing field for those
who want their annual (or semi-annual) shoot-out (or pseudo-WRTC, call it as
you want).
I also want to honor the thoughful planning which is needed for a 24 hour run
inside a 48 hour event.

Therefore I think K1VUTs idea is very valuable. It does not even need a rule
change or setting up of new operating classes!!!
(and we all hate that, dont we? ;-))

I think introducing a 24hour run into BOTH the WPX and the WWDX contests
according to K1VUTs idea would introduce many new aspects.
Those who want to take part in this run can do so on a voluntary basis and
state so on their logs. They do not even have to register before the contest,
why? It is clearly evident from their logs that they operated 24 hours, not
more.

And if they are really interested in comparing against other 24-hour-runners,
what do they care for other scores that may be higher because they operated
longer?

I would  vote against the idea of operating more than 24 hours and submitting
only 24. If you want to compete on a 24 hour basis, then operate 24 hours!
Besides, every QSO you make outside the 24 hours is a missing possible QSO (or
even MULT) for inside the 24 hours.

Next year you can enter the full-lenght-run again, if you like.

Come to think of it, we dont even need a special moderator or reporting for
this kind of stuff. All CQ (or other sponsors) have to do is to include
"operating time" for each entrant in the results (as Jimmy Floyd already
does). I find that a very interesting piece of information anyway, 24hour-
competition or not.
If some moderator wants to take the trouble of listing all 24-hour entrants on
a separate list it would make things easier, of course.

Give K1VUTs ideas a thought! We can first do this 24 hour stuff alone (here on
the reflector or on a website) and later on (if succesfull) the sponsors will
adopt it, I am sure. After all, including operation time into the results list
cannot be that much effort.  And yes, I think it introduces at least some
possiblity to level the fields into the contest whereas there still will
remain differences between W9 and W3, CT1 and I4, S5 and DL... ... ...

It may be just an experiment which is forgotten in a few years but what harm
can it do?

Interested in hearing your thoughts,

73 Con DF4SA              Cornelius Paul              CP2235 at aol.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com