[CQ-Contest] wpx RULES

Klimoff Timo timo.klimoff at ktm.vn.fi
Sun Apr 5 22:56:08 EDT 1998

Hmm..seems that it is spring coming again because US contesters
have started every-year fight against WPX rules ;=)

Well, because there is the rest of the world also, so IMHO:

1) WPX 36 hours is good. Now condx are improving, already had
about 36 hours of propagation during the WPX SSB on 15meters. 30 hours
wasn't too bad anyhow. But 36 hours means more lowband activity in
Europe, I think. And still you got enough sleep.

2) 24 hours? Come on...sounds like sprint. Maybe if the contest
lasts only that 24 hours (like IARU - good format - but bad log
checking) it is possible. At least from Europe, if you operate
for example in All Band class, it is not fun anymore, at all.
And of course, major part of operating time will be during the
daylight hours. And yes, single op -peditions (everyone works them)
are less fun, too!

3) Points for qsos with own country? I understand why US hams want
to change this one, but after changing this it is called Sweepstakes
plus more and more dominance of W1/W2/W3 in results. If it is what is
wanted, then go ahead, be my guest... Already now scoring is funny.
Some midwest multi-singles beat OH multi-singles with same amount of
prefixes and 1000 less qsos!! KQ2M (or someone) works 2300 qsos and
scores 6-7 Million points, OH0AM works 2400 qsos and scores 2,5
Million :( (In CQWW this "problem" is much smaller)

4) CHANGE LOWBAND/HIGHBAND scoring system! 1p = qso with own
continent, 3p= DX qsos (as now on high bands), 0p= own country.

This was my silver penny...

Timo OH1NOA/OH0NOA
                Timo Klimoff

Email:          timo.klimoff at ktm.vn.fi
or              oh1noa at qsl.net
WWW-homepage:   www.qsl.net/oh1noa
"Improvement make straight roads, but the crooked roads without
improvement are roads of genius"

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com