[CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX...WW or Domestic ?

Chuck Lewis clewis at ro.com
Mon Apr 6 06:34:57 EDT 1998

George Badger wrote:

> How about a new 'test. Like the 24 hours of Le Mans. You run what you
> brung and the first over the line after 24 hours wins. No whining!
>
>                   Le 24 Heures du Radio

Au Contraire, Mon Ami! You picked the wrong example! Last years LeMans
had three "LeMans Prototype" classes:  >650 Kg., >875 Kg. and >875 Kg.
production derived engines up to 5.0 Liters; and two Grand Touring (GT)
classes: <630 BHP with carbon brakes and 14" tires, and <550 BHP with
non-carbon brakes and 12" tires. All carburetors had restrictor plates
to "equalize competitiveness" determined by weight and engine capacity.
So, you see, the LeMans approach attempts to evaluate engineering,
driver skill and operational competiveness, and uses CLASSES to compare
apples with apples, and oranges with oranges. Anyone is free to enter
with a big-engined prototype, be the first across the line, and be
declared "WINNER" by the media, but the others can rank themselves
within their classes. All five class winners jump on the podium.
Engineering,  driver skill and operational competitiveness are evaluated
in each case. Sound familiar? Where's the whining?

Le 24 Heures du Radio sounds great...I'm just not sure how we all gather
together across the track from our rigs for the traditional standing
 start!

Now...lessee...why not run top fuel dragsters against superstock sedans?
Boy, that'll draw a big crowd!

Chuck, N4NM
(Nomex ready)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com