[CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX.scoring etc.

tgstewart at pepco.com tgstewart at pepco.com
Mon Apr 6 14:24:09 EDT 1998

The only advantage of being further west and south is better propagation
into the Far East and better trans-equatorial propagation.  It's fairly
rare when the JA, etc., activity is good enough to even come close to
equalizing the east coast EU advantage, but it does happen.

At any rate, limiting the contest to 24 out of 48 just so the west coast
can be more competitive is not a good idea.  Like some other DX stations
have pointed out, this is a DX/WW contest, not an SS or even ARRL DX
contest.  It's nonsense to think you can fix the problem with this time
restriction anyway.  I'm all for trying to equalize the point spread, but
limiting the operating time for single ops just to appease a small portion
of the world in difference to the rest is pretty insensitive.  I suppose
you want to do the same for multi's as well??  How do you cure the "A,B,C,
HC8 island" advantage?  You dont.

Any changes should involve redistricting for QSO points or the
aforementioned 1 point for working your own country.  I personally like the
1 point/same country QSO.  From my experience with the RTTY WPX, it doesnt
even come close to turning it into another SS, but it does make some small
contribution to equalizing scores in larger countries (such as US :) and
should also equalize the current disadvantage of using a US call with a
"rare" prefix.

A much better move IMHO would be to offer US regional awards.  Divide the
US up by call areas or CQ zones, etc., and get some sponsors lined up so
that you can have separate trophies for, say, zones 3, 4, and 5 or even by
each call area.  All it takes is money!  Start out doing SOHP AND SOLP next
year and see where it goes...

Hey, if I want to compete for the top money in SS I know where I have to
go...and it ain't in 1,2,3, or even 4 land!  Luckily, the ARRL and other
sponsors fund a plentiful number of Divisional awards so I can stay home
and still win some hardware with a good effort.

OK, this is my last post on this topic ...PROMISE!!

73, Ty K3MM

Please respond to k4oj at ij.net