[CQ-Contest] Re: WPX

TOMK5RC TOMK5RC at aol.com
Tue Apr 7 12:29:57 EDT 1998

In a message dated 4/7/98 6:12:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time, w5hvv at aeneas.net
writes:

<< For those of you who vigorously dispute or "contest" my opinion,
 remember this: it is only my opinion - one of nearly 6 billion
 in the world..... but here it is.  Remember my desire to stay
 within and abide by the wishes of the majority.

You are indeed entitled to your opinion. In the spirit of our hobby, I
vigorously disagree.

I too am long in tooth and no longer am inclined to put in a full effort in
any contest. I also do not feel inclined to push my "personal best" because I
reached those milestones a number of years ago. I do, however, participate in
almost every contest. Sometimes, it is for fodder for the club score.
Sometimes it is just to see the rate meter hit 230 on CW, for an hour or so.
Sometimes it is for digging out some neat mults, or working a bunch of old
friends, or a combination of all of them. Winning is not the motivation, for
me, during this period of my life and after nearly 40 years of contesting.

I also get really excited when I meet young contesters who have the fire in
their gut to win. I encourage them and share what tricks I've discovered along
my journey. Neither of us is right or wrong about why we contest. There is no
one reason to contest, there are as many reasons as there are contesters.
Those of us who aren't in there to win are certainly not just more QRM, thank
you very much.

73 and DX,

Tom, K5RC
aka K7GJ