[CQ-Contest] INNOVATIVE IDEA?? - contest dates

Andrew Williamson andrew at gi0nwg.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 2 19:54:51 EDT 1998

In message <199808021604.MAA06505 at camel8.mindspring.com>, Barry Kutner
<w2up at mindspring.com> writes
>On 2 Aug 98,, Andrew Williamson <andrew at gi0nwg.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Thanksgiving weekend...... Mmmmm, what's that?  Oh yes, an AMERICAN ONLY
>> holiday.  Why change the long-standing tradition of when the event is
>> held, so it is more suitable for a fraction of the entrants?  The new date
>> might be very unsuitable for the rest of the world.
>>
>1. A BIG fraction. My guess 1/2. Statisticians, what say?
>
>2. CQ Mag, an AMERICAN publication. How many subscribers are
>non-American?

After doing a (very) quick count, here are the rough stats.

Total U.S logs           = 739
Total non-U.S. logs      = 2030
% U.S. logs              = 26.7%

Total U.S operators      = 1043 (includes all M/S and M/M ops)
Total non-U.S. operators = 2917 (includes all M/S and M/M ops)
% U.S. operators         = 26.3%

I'd call 26.7% and 26.3% quite SMALL fractions.  I stand by my original
comment..... why change it for a fraction of the entrants.

BTW, I think you would be surprised how many non-Americans subscribe to
CQ Mag.  I've been a subscriber for five years, and I know a lot of
others who subscribe too.

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI
http://www.gi0nwg.demon.co.uk

Member of Jan 1999 Campbell Island DXpedition - ZL9CI

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com