[CQ-Contest] Get rid of 0 pointers!

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Tue Aug 4 13:00:39 EDT 1998

<<     I like N6TJ's idea: 0 points for QSOs with your own country, 3 points
otherwise. >>

Another but:
I think the idea of 0 points is obsolete. What are we trying to discourage?
QSOs? Someone "creatively" logging his 5 friends from local radioclub?
Days of contests, working some 20 QSO/hour and searching for 3 pointers are
over!! I have to yet operate a contest where I would not run out of pileup and
have to keep begging for contacts. Soo, I could use even halfpointers.
What is the worry about "sweepstaking" the CQ contests? I hear endless CQing
in sweepestakes without takers too.
(The bigger problem is "Italian 300W", "Spread-multi M/S and M/M" and other
"creative" tricks.)

What is wrong for Ws (JAs) to work other Ws (JAs)? PJ8s, VEs work them and
world is not collapsing. More stations to work = more activity, more fun,
bigger scores and better indicator of operator's skill. Rare countries and
zones will be in demand for multiplier reason. Those closer to the equator
will enjoy longer openings, better propagation than northerners, but won't
have the huge advantage of being next door to 3 pointers. (Still incentive to
go south.)

So I am in strong support for: give the people and little pistols 2 (or even
3?) points for own country (or zone?) and rest of them 3 points.
(Why really penalize any contacts? Discrimination left from slavery days? :-)
I am positive that elimination of 0 pointers that was implemented in WPX will
give it a huge boost.

Elimination of 0 pointers will maintain sanity of record tables, equalize
things and boost the contest activity and our "dying" hobby. I think today
"thing" in contesting is how many stations (and Multipliers) one can work in
allotted time. Typically we make half of contacts in second 24 hours compared
to first. So the saturation point and excuse that one would work Ws, rather
than DX is not there. We will work anybody we can hear!!!

Maybe we should wait and see how 99'WPX works out and start with year 2000
with "perfect" CQ WW (and that's it!).
Maybe time to dust off and ressurect the old IRSA World Championship Contest
two weeks after CQ WW Phone?

Yuri, K3BU, VE3BMV/1, Pee Forty Aaaah (If "forced" to go South.)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com