[CQ-Contest] Attn NAQP Admin Folks

k6ll at juno.com k6ll at juno.com
Wed Aug 5 19:32:33 EDT 1998

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998 13:13:11 -0400 (EDT) Bill Fisher - W4AN
<w4an at contesting.com> writes:

>Can we please change the power limit for NAQP to 100
>instead of 150 watts?  KZ2S and I drafted those rules
>originally, and then I thought 150w made sense.  However, a very
>good competitor mentioned to me before the contest that he
>was going to use his amps to reach 150w output.  Geeezz...
>that's not what was intended.  150w was intended to cover all radios
>at
>the time.  Ya, some might get 110w, some might get 90w, but the idea
>was/is that this is a contest without amplifiers.
>
>I personally dont think there is much difference between 100 and 150,
>but
>let's take amplifiers out of the equation.

I agree totally with Bill's recommendation.

The current rule reads "Output power must be limited to 150 watts
for eligible entries." Now the most liberal interpretation of
this rule would be "150 watts into the antenna terminals." This
could easily be achieved with an amp, and there would be a
temptation to goose the power up even further on occasion
to make a difficult qso, such as a 10 meter backscatter mult.

Now take a station with a 100 watt transceiver, 0.7 dB of bandpass
filter loss, and 0.7 dB of feedline loss, and you've got 72 watts
into the antenna, more than 3 dB down from the guy with the amp.
3 dB is a big difference, especially in a low power contest where
nobody is REALLY loud. It also makes a big psychological difference
when you're busting your buns with 72 watts, and you think about
others running amps.

I would like to see the wording changed to be similar to the
Internet Sprint rule. "Maximum power output: 100 watts at the
transmitter output connector."

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
San Diego, CA
K6LL at juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com