[CQ-Contest] NAQP Power

T A RUSSELL n4kg at juno.com
Sat Aug 8 04:21:52 EDT 1998

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998 11:03:12 EDT PaulKB8N at aol.com writes:

>They say you can't hear the difference between 100W and 150W.
>Hogwash!  It is
>not hearing that counts, since most operators use AGC.  150W will
>"capture"
>the AGC over 100W every time, no matter how loud you "feel".
>
>Paul, KB8N

Paul  is right-on about this.  AGC keeps the audio output constant
by reducing receiver gain.  The strongest signal dominates.

The dB  difference between 150 W and 100 W is exactly the same
as the dB difference between 1500 W and 1000 W,  1.76 dB.
(Power gain = LOG ( P2 / P1 ) in dB).

de  Tom  N4KG   (receiver design engineer in my other life)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com