[CQ-Contest] QSL Bureau Fee Structure

Jim Kehler kh2d at kuentos.guam.net
Wed Aug 12 00:05:06 EDT 1998

In light of the fact that it's 1998, and that the electronic
age is upon us, I think it's time maybe we rethink QSL
cards altogether.

I also think it's time to do this due to the fact that I have
been the KH2 QSL bureau manager on and off for the
last ten years and have forwarded many thousands of
QSL cards to Mr. Dumpster.

The QSL bureau system, in my opinion, is a horrific
waste of time and money. In many cases, bureaus are
manned by volunteers who mean well, but obviously
are prefix illiterate. I base this observation on the many
hundreds of QSL cards received at the Guam bureau
with WP2, KP2, KH0, KH3, KH4, and KG6 prefixes. I
also base it on the fact that the bureau here has been
instructed to forward all cards to certain stations
received here to Mr. Dumpster, and on the fact that
a call sign no longer signifies the QTH of a station,
since the inception of the vanity DX call sign scam
program. Many cards received here are not claimed.

Contest logs are submitted electronically, comments to
the FCC are submitted electronically, and soon our
licenses will be renewed electronically.

Many DX'peditions now have logs on the internet, so
that stations can verify QSO's.  I realize a lot of people
will probably still want paper QSL cards as a memo of
a certain contact, but I think it's time the ARRL DXCC
desk seriously consider taking logs from DX'peditions
and DX stations that are submitted electronically, and
using the electronic logs to give people DXCC credit.

I would be more than happy to submit all my logs
to the ARRL electronically, as I have been using
computerized logging since 1986.

73, Jim KH2D

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com