[CQ-Contest] Re: NAQP Power and AGC

Barry Kutner w2up at itw.com
Fri Aug 14 11:41:41 EDT 1998

On 14 Aug 98, T A RUSSELL <n4kg at juno.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Aug 1998 01:20:25 +0100 "Barry Kutner" <w2up at mindspring.com>
> writes:
> >
> >On 13 Aug 98,, AD6E at aol.com <AD6E at aol.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi again Tom,
> >>
> >> I found a real expert in this field: AE0M works in the hearing aid
> >industry
> >> and is well versed in the human hearing field.  Tony told me that
> >for
> >> unrelated voice applications (such as telephones) there probably
> >needs to be 2
> >> or 3 dB difference to be able to say that one is louder than the
> >other.
> >> However, for a "trained ear", and that probably includes all of us,
> >it is very
> >> possible to distinguish strength differences betweens two tones in a
> >noisy
> >> environment with only a few tenths of a dB difference.  I that means
> >it really
> >> does makes a difference between running 100W and 150W after all.
> >Guess I'm
> >> lucky no one took me up on that challange... hi
> >>

> >Al - You are forgetting about the effect of AGC. I presume most, if
> >not all, of us use the AGC almost all the time. Since this pretty
> >much equalizes the audio level of what we hear, the small power
> >differences shouldn't make a difference.
> >73 Barry
> >--
>
> The AGC will equilaze audio output from different signals ONLY
> when there is only one signal in the receiver passband.
>
> When there are several signals in the passband, the STRONGEST
> signal will set the AGC voltage which controls the receiver gain and
> weaker signals will produce less output.

Yes and no. As a RTTY op, I sometimes notice selective fading between 2
tones 170 Hz apart emanating from the same station. Here we are
talking about 2 tones, each coming from a different location,
propagation path, etc. Do the short term fades equalize the
small differences? Dunno...
73 Barry
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up at mindspring.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com