[CQ-Contest] ZW5B 28 MHz All Night Openings

T A RUSSELL n4kg at juno.com
Tue Dec 8 22:52:46 EST 1998

A   question,  and an answer,  at the end  (Big Snip).      de   N4KG

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 20:55  "Randy Thompson" <k5zd at ma.ultranet.com> writes:

>                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1998
>
>      Call: ZW5B (opr. K5ZD) @PY5EG   Country:  Brazil
>
> 10M  BAND  QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/QSO   ZONES COUNTRIES
>
>         Totals   3869    11467      2.96       37     148    =>
2,121,395

>Operating Time: 46 hours (20 minutes sleep)

  SNIP

>Back on at 0245Z with big signals from 9M6NA, B7K and BD4EG.  Just
>wild to hear all the loud Asians in the middle of the night.  The next
two
>hours were slow, but JAs kept calling so I postponed going to sleep.
>Worked N5XT at 0446Z so you never know when the band will be
>open to where.
>
>During the 05Z hour the band began to open to the middle of Asia.
>Mixed in with the JAs were EX8MZ, AT2PTT, and UK8OM.  Then it
>went deeper into European Russia about 0530Z.  I finally figured
>out that this opening was via the long path beaming over the South Pole.

>The next two hours were good rate and had a very interesting sound to
>them.  The log is almost all zone 16 and 17 with a few JAs mixed in.
>
>At 0900Z it stopped.  Instantly the band just went away to Europe.
>Signals from zone 26 were still booming in, but not much QSO
>volume there.   I took a quick spin up the band and caught 3A/N9NC
>just before he faded out.

>PY5EG is about the same south latitude as Orlando, Florida is north.
>Why don't we see these all night openings and long path from W4?

>73,
>
>Randy, K5ZD

             EASY.

             The   MAGNETIC   North  Pole is displaced  towards
             North America,  giving  N. A.  the LOWEST   MUF's
             in the World for the same  Latitude.

             Countries along the MAGNETIC   EQUATOR
             ( South America,   Central  Africa,  SE   ASIA )
             enjoy  some of the  HIGHEST  MUF's  in the World
             for their  latitudes.

             de   Tom   N4KG

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com