[CQ-Contest] ZW5B (op K5ZD) CQWW CW 28 MHz Story (longer than long)

Jim George, N3BB N3BB at easy.com
Fri Dec 11 14:22:01 EST 1998

This is very interesting.  I have commented on this exact problem before in
post-contest summaries, and K3ZO has sent me some very interesting
comments.  Locally, for a time we thought the problem on 40 was coming from
the south, but it is clear upon further study that the signals peak on the
DU/JA/YB headings (315 degrees) and rise and fall as the Asian band opening
rises and falls.  The conclusion here was that the 40 meter SSB QRM is from
YB land and perhaps DU land from CBers, loggers/truckers, etc.  We get very
very good high rate openings to Asia on 40 CW from South Texas, and the SSB
QRM is a killer that takes a 100/hr rate capability and takes it down to
half that or worse at times.  I agree with Dave Mueller that the bottom 5
KHx are the worse-after that it's a hit and miss occurence.  With the
difficulty of competing with the Northeastern USA in general, it is
maddening to have "our time" on 40, and have it trashed like this!

On 75 meters and 80 CW, the SSB pirate problem seems more from a southern
source.

Jim-N3BB/5

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com