[CQ-Contest] K5MM - Silent Key

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Dec 18 20:59:10 EST 1998

In a message dated 98-12-18 16:35:13 EST, felipe at isla.net writes:

> Very sad news about Dale, I had the chance to have him as our Judge
>  during WRTC and I was really impressed of his quality of human being
>  and his sense of equalness.  I was very impressed also with his Cw
>  ability, like sending with both hands simultaneously and staying awake
>  during the whole WRTC and paying attention to every single detail of
>  our operation.
>
>  On a funny note, we remember a few times that he laid back his chair
>  and closed his eyes, we could swear he was asleep, and any mistake we
>  made, will make him open his left eye!!!
>
>  I can't say I knew him for long but he was definitively one of the
>  highlights of WRTC.

      Dale was one of my heros. He was a helluva contest operator and all-
around bon vivant. He built a station in Oregon in the 80's that was modest
but effective. His best advice was "if you can't hear 'em, you can't work
'em".

     After some personal turmoil, he resurfaced in NW Washington State in the
early 90's where he was inactive. When the WRTC96 was looking for additional
judges, I sent Dale an email describing the whole thing and suggesting that he
join in and offer his estimable services. To my surprise he accepted. The
gathering in San Francisco and the worldwide camaraderie felt there
overwhelmed him. Every time I saw him after that he thanked me for the great
time. I know that it was one of the most memorable ham events that he was a
part of. I'm just sad that he'll miss the WRTC2000 in Slovenia.

       73, OB.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com