[CQ-Contest] Nostalgia, was "hand written logs" and "CW SS QSO"

Goran Fagerstrom tjanste at algonet.se
Sat Dec 19 09:34:23 EST 1998

Reading one guy's question where one could obtain the "official logs", did you remember the days when the contest rules always contained an item whereby you could get log forms by sending in a SASE to ARRL etc (probably the rules still do).

I wonder how many people's forms do not reside in their computers today, certainly not many of this discussion's readers use old-style forms.

AFTER photocopiers became "available", remember the photocopies you made of other photocopies of other photocopies of the various forms of various contests...

This sounds as if I am in my 80's, but I am not. Fast copies became commonplace in the 1970's.  Things are moving fast, folks, and the next step is to confirm and validate our contacts by electronic means on-line, even if we still make them by radio. (Cf. Oscar, CO2OJ's comment recently)  I think that would be a tremendous vitalisation of contesting, of the DXCC program, and of DX-ing in general. Why should a guy have to shell out the cost of a rig to get DXCC?

Season's greetings from Sweden,

Goran/SM0DRD

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com