[CQ-Contest] RE: "Worked Before" & "Alpha Travel Cases"

DavidHarper at tx.slr.com DavidHarper at tx.slr.com
Wed Jan 7 08:45:39 EST 1998

> Yeah, I know, why not just work them again and get it over with? I
> just hate to have dupes in my log.

In the last few years I "got with the program" and work all dupes, for
all the reasons mentioned here before.  But in the last CQWW-CW when I
was at VP5, after going most of the contest with only about a 2.5% dupe
rate, I finally changed tactics in the 2200Z hour on Sunday when nearly
50% of callers were dupes!  I was doing 15M Single-Band and had really
"worked out" the band by the end of the test. Anyway, I just got fed up
with the huge percentage of dupers at the end (as Popeye said, "That's
all I can stands - I can't stands no more!") and when I saw it was a
dupe as the computer was sending their call, I just sent "QSO" and
immediately followed with "Test VP5EA".  Very very few called me back,
and if they did I worked them.

Regarding the thread on packing amps or other gear for airlines, several
have suggested using the original shipping boxes and pack material.  For
those that do this, you may be interested in attaching a handle to the
box for ease of carrying.  At Wal-Mart in the travel section, I found a
handle specifically designed for attaching to boxes (made by American
Tourister I think, but not positive).  The handle is attached to a flat
metal cross-brace, which has nylon straps that wrap around the box.
Inexpensive and useful.

73,
Dave WD5N   < DavidHarper at tx.slr.com >

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com