[CQ-Contest] Dupes

David Jones kk7gw at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 19:32:56 EST 1998

>Yep  I work 'em again (& again!).  Most of the time when I sent "QSO",
>"B4", "DUPE", "SRI", etc. I get a "R  599 .. " or whatever, so I just
>send the exchange in the first place & log the Q.

>The big pain is SS, where, in order to log the guy as a dupe, you have
>to struggle through an exchange to make sure that was who you worked
>before.  And as Doug sez, most "casual dupers" don't know the code well
>enuff to understand fills, etc., making for a nightmarish time
consuming
>QSO.   BUT  that's all part of the game!!!

I'll start my comments by saying that I've seen both sides of this.  In
my first real CW contest (as in 30+ wpm in the 1996 Cal QSO party) I
managed to get contacts by listening to the previous 5 Q's or so.  Then,
I got thrown.  A station sent back "NR?" and I just sat there, trying to
figure out what he wanted.  He sent it another couple times, and then it
hit me.  He needed my number again!  After learning how to do fills,
everything was clear sailing.

I too, have had problems (especially in SS) with as Gator calls it
"nightmarish time consuming QSO's".  What I've tried to do is slow down,
and spell out what I want (ur power, number, section, etc...) and
generally I'll get what I need.

A lot of times, the casual contesters (which I'm on the borderline of)
can't copy everything you send in SS. In CQWW, ARRL DX, and contests
with short and predictable exchanges, this isn't such a problem.  If
they dupe you, just work them.  In SS, it can become a real nightmare,
and the best policy (unless you know the guy on the other end can copy
you) is to slow down if they don't get something or if they need
something.

>Contesting is FUN!!

I couldn't agree more.

73