[CQ-Contest] more on Portable Genny's

Lee Buller k0wa at southwind.net
Tue Jan 13 21:51:42 EST 1998

At 11:31 AM 1/13/98 -0600, you wrote:

>     2.  In homes & businesses that have 'professional' installations
>         such as this -- hospitals, fire stations, rich people, etc --
>         the switching is done automatically, and genny's of 10 KW
>         to 25 KW are typical.

>  Dale  K5MM

I work for a hospital that just build a new building with a 500 KW
generator.  It runs on diesel and has five sets of contactors...all run by
microprocessors. When the contactors fire it sounds like a double barrell
12-gauge shotgun.  Both going on generator and going back to mains.  It
affects five different circuts in the hospital is is up and running is less
than 5 seconds once the power goes off.  It is an ONAN generator with a Cat
engine.  1000 gallons of fuel.  It runs at 1800 RPM and is quiet as a
Honda.  My HP9000 UNIX file server and 7 Novell File servers never even
blink...thanks to some pretty good UPSes.

The unfortunate thing is that the generator is not on wheels so  I can take
it to FD.

Lee Buller
k0wa at southwind.net

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com