[CQ-Contest] 'Worked Before'

John Downing jdowning at intelenet.net
Wed Jan 14 11:27:54 EST 1998

After everyone on the reflector has beat this one to death, I'll chime
in with a few comments.  Sorry, couldn't resist!

At V31DX we Cuba Libre Contesters just log the DUPES mostly without
comment.  In particular, working SSB split on 40 can produce some
erroneous log entries on our part when we and some other DX station each
place the pileup on the same frequency - which actually happens quite
frequently.  It sometimes takes several QSOs to figure out that the
station we thought we worked wasn't working us!  So every so often we'll
get a couple of bogus entries in the log so we give the other guy the
benefit of the doubt and just log 'em.  Besides, it's just faster and
simpler that way.

On the other hand (and I just have to comment on this!) there are a
number of stations that show up in the waning hours of the contest -
usually on 20 meters these days - that cruise the band calling every
pileup just to show everyone how loud they are and that they can bust
any pileup with a single call.  They usually aren't active contesters,
don't care whether they're in the log or not and don't listen for our
call - heck, on Sunday afternoon we're certainly giving our call on
every QSO.  Some of these guys will show up four or five times in less
than ten minutes and are completely insensitive to the fact that they're
killing our QSO rate.  It's at these times that we get very cranky - and
take a second to tell them to please start keeping a log.....While
keeping in mind that the non-serious contester accounts for many of our
QSOs at V31DX.

Oh well, just had to get it off of my chest!

best,

John W2NA / V31DX
The Cuba Libre Contest Club

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com