[CQ-Contest] motivation for ARRL M/S rules?

Wayne E. Wright w5xd at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 14 17:42:25 EST 1998

Can anyone offer the rationale for the "6 band changes/hr"
rule in ARRL m/s?

Having not participated as an operator in multi/single, I had this
mental model that the m/s category was an opportunity to do
what single op's do, but share the load with a crew of others.
So you get to sleep, and the operation is more of a party
than a marathon. And you can throw in packet as well. But
when you sit in the chair, you exercise the part of your
brain that makes you a contester--single op or not.

Wrong....
That is NOT what the m/s rules require. In particular, you
can't be a two-radio single operator and be an operator
on a m/s crew. The band change rule  means that there's
little point in having a second radio around at all.

Its a bit of a disappointment to me to be unable to use
a stint at a m/s operation training for an all-out
single op.

What is the purpose of this rule?

Wayne, W5XD

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com